By Jim DeBrosse So you’re stuck in Athens for the summer and ruing the day when the Uptown streets are blazing hot and empty? Buck up, pal. Athens has something called The Great Outdoors. Try fishing. Yes, there are actually fish in the Hocking River, and big ones... Read more
by Amanda J. Weed As the school year draws to a close, students are thinking ahead to the mass exodus of Athens that occurs after spring finals. If you will be heading out for the summer, take some time this weekend to experience some events that highlight the creative... Read more
By Amanda J. Weed Memorial Day, observed on the last Monday of May, signals the beginning of summer. It is filled with the sounds of marching bands which parade down Main Street and the smoky aromas from backyard barbeques. Yet the origin of the holiday does celebrate... Read more
Spring marks the beginning of a new season that is not technically on the calendar as a season — festival season. Whether it is a church festival, school festival, fireman’s fest, or fest in Athens, these events include some of the best food, drinks, and activities... Read more
by: Kirsten Hamilton Athens community members, and local officials, work to create a better environment in Athens County. Recently, steps have been taken to increase the safety of the community as well as simply benefit public individuals in a friendly manner. Organizations... Read more
>> << Photos
- December 9, 2014 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 4, 2014 – Photo 2 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 4, 2014 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 3, 2014 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 3, 2014 – Photo 7 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 3, 2014 – Photo 6 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 3, 2014 – Photo 4 (Instagram) (flickr)
- December 3, 2014 – Photo 5 (Instagram) (flickr)
An OU professor studies how imagining exercises and motions can help prevent muscle loss.
OU remembers alum Michel du Cille who died while on assignment in Liberia
Athens County, OHSOPEC PRESS RELEASE – Members of the Southeast Ohio Public Energy Council could see a change in the cost of their energy thanks to an electric aggregation partnership.
Southeast Ohio Public Energy Council (SOPEC) is an organization tha…
For more information, please call 740-592-4315. T-shirts are available as a first come first basis during office hours (M-TH, 10am-4pm) and before/after performances.
ARTS/West Presents:Athens County Community Singers Christmas ConcertFriday, Dec. 19th7pmThe Athens County Community Singers, formally the ATCO Vocal Choir, is a choir for “all voices”, those with and without disabilities. Selections will include f…
ScroogedPresented by the ARTS/West Film SeriesThursday, Dec. 18th7pmThe ARTS/West Presents Film Series is excited to bring a family favorite to the big screen. Scrooged, features Billy Murray as Frank Cross, who is selfish and cynical, runs a US T…
Scott PfeifferChicago, Ill.
This film is the emotional powerhouse of the year. It is directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, who made last year’s emotional powerhouse, Dallas Buyers Club. Here he’s working from a script by Nick Hornby, based on Cheryl Strayed’…
‘Rise of the Phoenix’, an event brainstormed to support The Union Bar & Grill, which was recently destroyed in the West Union Street fire, will take place Thursday evening. The benefit will featur
Doug “Rat” BrooksAthens, OhioPhoto Credit: Soozan Palsa
Doug “Rat” Brooks (photo: Soozan Palsa)
This is the eighth in a series of year-end blog posts by WOUB staff, volunteers and contributors. Check out all of this year’s lists at this link.
By: Rosie Haren, @rosieharen Do you ever worry about being fully inclusive to all cultures during the holiday season? It’s a constant worry for most professionals. Businesses and restaurants have the difficult task of spreading holiday cheer, while …
- Library Hours and Services During Winter Break (Alden Library)
- Library Hours and Services During Winter Break (Ohio University Libraries News and Events)
By Kate Hiller
The Study of the US Institute (SUSI) on Journalism and Media has called Athens, Ohio its home base for the last five years. Offered in the summer, this program brings 18 scholars from 18 different countries to the United States to …
- Environmental Issues Remain in Spotlight Following Fukushima Nuclear Disaster (IIJ Blog)
- A Divided Society: Lack of Black Professors a Detriment to South African Higher Education (IIJ Blog)
W. Basketball. Lampkins’ Double Double Leads @OhioWBasketball Past La Salle, 74-63 (ohiobobcats.com)
Led by Quiera Lampkins’ third double double of the season, the Ohio women’s basketball team (7-2) snapped its two-game losing streak by defeating La Salle (6-4) 74-63 Friday evening at the Georgia State Holiday and Hoops Classic in Atlanta, Ga.
- Wrestling. Ohio Travels to Reno for Tournament of Champions (ohiobobcats.com)
- River Valley Squeak By Lady Vikings (WOUB Sports)
This post is another in the “One Recipe” series in which, in between destination visits, I am sharing recipes featuring previous Local Choice ingredients. The holidays are a time for baking, eating, and indulging in foods you normally limit or avoi…
- Liquid Pizza (Pizza Goon)
- Pizza al Filo (Pizza Napoletana with a twist…or two) (Pizza Goon)
Sports Column: The "other bowls" will have plenty of action in the coming weeks (The Post :: Opinion)
Bowl season will begin this weekend and Matt Fout is predicting six that he thinks will be the best before the playoff starts.
- Church directory harkens back to more tolerant time in history (Athens News :: Letters)
- It’s time to say enough with the no-can-do attitude (Athens News :: Letters)
Can eating chocolate help you lose weight? Surprising health claims about chocolate have come out in recent years. Studies have
found, for example, that eating chocolate on a regular basis might help to lower blood pressure and heart attack risk, imp…
- Alzheimers and blood test (Family Health Radio)
- Mexican Americans and obesity (Family Health Radio)
Deck the Green: Cook up the scents of the holidays with a stovetop air freshener (The Post :: Blogs)
Staff writer Anna Gibbs teaches us how to bring holiday scents into our homes without the hassle. This stovetop air freshener will fill your house with scent for up to five days!
- Clean & Purge (Consider the Thought)
- Movie review: ‘Wild’ wallows but wows (The Post :: Blogs)